9.27.2010

Our crazy amazing new life as parents!

Milo
Morgan
Sage
was born
September 18th, 2010
8:09 pm
4 pounds 14 ounces
18 inches long



On Saturday morning I was induced at 9:30 am.
I was in labor for 10.5 hours!
I got my epidural a whole 10 minutes before I was shipped to the delivery room!
After 14 minutes of pushing, I saw my baby boy..
And he screamed so loud!!
I couldn't believe how instantly my love for him multiplied..
I couldn't believe how instantly my love for my wonderful husband multiplied!
Never before that moment had I felt so much love in my heart.
After seeing him for 2 seconds, the doctor from the NICU had to take him right away. :(
It seemed like an eternity waiting to be able to see him again and know how he's doing.
Mike went with the doctor to see him get cleaned up and then he came back to me.
We were greeted by a huge group of our family in my room to congratulate us.
After getting all cleaned up, the nurse took us to the NICU to see Milo..
This was the hardest part for me..
He was hooked up to all of these machines, he had foam coming out of his mouth..
He looked like he was so out of it.. It was so heartbreaking to see..
From that moment on, I have adopted what I'm sure every mother has which is a built in worry security system.. I feel like I'm constantly thinking about Milo. Is he okay? Is he awake? Is he in any pain? What can I do to help?
The never-ending worry definitely takes its toll on me and also Mike.
Can I just say that no other person in the world would still love me after this past week and a half!!
He never slept anywhere but at the hospital with me..
He sat by my side as I demanded back rubs and ice chips and barf bags during labor..
He sat and watched me be in tremendous pain and never once got mad at me for being touchy..
He held me in his arms when I got my epidural..
He held a bag up to my face as I puked..
He watched my give birth!!
He helped me walk everywhere I went..
I could go on and on.. But you get the point!
He saw things he probably wish he hadn't and he still was so loving and caring to me. I am so blessed!
So its been 9 days since Milo was born and he is still in the NICU.
BUT here is all of the progress he's made!!
1. He didn't need additional oxygen, he can breathe room air on his own!
2. He maintains his own body temperature and doesn't need to be under heaters!
3. He digests breast milk and poops like a champ!
4. He absorbs all of his nutrients from milk so NO MORE IV!! :]
5. He had jaundice but got over it in 3 days!
6. He can suck on a binkie and hold it in his mouth without anyone's help! (This is a sign that he's ready for breast feeding)
7. He moved from the Intensive Care Unit to the Well Baby nursery! (Still in the NICU but the last step before going home!)
8. He is now in a big boy bed, no more incubators.
9. After working with an amazing occupational therapist, he is now breast feeding!! He is only getting small amounts because he's not used to it yet.
10. The past 3 times he's breast-fed, he's DOUBLED his intake! :]
All he has to do to go home is:
1. Breast feed 75% of his normal feeding every 3 hours for 48 hours.
- He ate HALF of his feeding today! Progress! :)

He so knows how to make me happy! If I'm stressed about a feeding or whatever the case is, I hold his little hand and its like my own guardian angel that completely comforts me. I am so blessed to have a perfect baby to call my son. I can't wait to take him home with us and never come back to this hospital again!

6 comments:

  1. Milo sounds like such a champ, I am so happy for you guys. He is doing amazing. I love it. Love you guys congrats! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that last pic of him is so precious....I can't wait to see him in person. Good job with everything you guys have done for him so far. Being a mom is the hardest job in the world but it is also the most rewarding.....I love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this post! congratulations! what an awesome hubby to help out so much! i love great husbands :) just wait until you see him interact and play with milo. its the most attractive thing ever haha seriously though. I'm so happy for you! he's perfecT! i hope your recovery is going good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at that hair. he looks so good. im glad things went well. Congrats he seriously such a cute little boy. before you know it he will be out of the preemee outfits and you wondering where all the time has gone:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that new Mom worry feeling. When I would sleep at night I would ground my teeth I was so worried. Milo is making so much progress, that is great that he is breastfeeding. I was hoping that would work out for you with all the NICU stuff.

    ReplyDelete