12.19.2010

Christmas Gifts

I absolutely love the Christmas season for a few reasons:
-Christmas lights on houses, trees, buildings, businesses, EVERYWHERE! <3
-The magical feeling children carry with them knowing that Santa will bring them that special gift if they are being good.
-Making Christmas sweets with my mom & grandma.
-Shopping :]
-Decorating the house with decorations I made when I was a girl.
-Making Christmas crafts with my mom every Black Friday.
-Snow :]

Some things I forget to appreciate during this season are the most important things to be excited for.
Today my mom taught a lesson in relief society that really was awesome. She talked about Sacrament and how we give gifts to the Lord and in return, he gives us gifts. She talked about what we could possibly give the Savior for HIS birthday. Since Christmas should be about Him, and not us.
When I think about giving a gift to someone, the first things I start to brainstorm are what the person's interests are, how much I can afford to spend, etc.
Well, thinking about getting the Savior a birthday present, its a little tricky.
He doesn't care for iPods or laptops. Even if he did, there isn't an exact address to fedex it too!
I got thinking about why we give gifts to anyone. We do it because we are symbolizing our love for them.
I'm not buying people socks and pajamas for Christmas because they are a literal representation of my feelings for them, its a humble way to show them I love them. 
Love is not measured by the dollar sign on the gift receipt.
(Good news for those of us who don't have extra dollar signs..)
Having come to that realization, I have really changed my perspective on Christmas this year.
Not a year goes by that I don't wish I had just a few more dollars to buy my family and friends something just a little nicer for Christmas.
This Christmas, my focus is on what I can do for my Savior. It is HIS birthday after all.
PS. Whose idea was it for US to receive gifts on HIS birthday? Weird..
This Christmas, gift a gift to Him. All he wants for Christmas is for us to come unto Him with a pure heart. It won't cost you a penny, and it means more than anything purchased.


Today in Relief Society, my mom wanted someone to share some thoughts on the lesson. Of course I hadn't been to church since before the bed rest situation so I really had a lot to be thankful for. So I spoke up.


My situation has been a blessing in disguise. I think all trials are that way. Being on bed rest was so hard for me at first because I felt that I was missing everything. But after seeing the huge blessing in disguise, I used that precious time to become closer to my Savior.
I was convinced that once Milo was born, my trials would be over, or at least easier than they currently were. I was thrown a curve ball. Having Milo in the NICU for that long was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It was hard for me to really appreciate comfort and support from others because they didn't have a baby in the NICU. They couldn't really understand what I was going through. The Savior does. He lived the pain, the guilt, and the heartache. And not in a general sense, he lived it as me. He felt MY pain not the generic NICU pain. I wish I could have appreciated that more in the moment.
He gave me the ultimate Christmas gift. The gift of bearing children. The gift of a healthy, beautiful baby boy. The gift of starting a new family with the man I love.
You can't put a price tag on love.
I hope you all have a Happy Christmas and remember why we celebrate this beautiful holiday.
XOXO, Alecia

No comments:

Post a Comment