3.04.2010

Complications..

So last night I had severe abdominal pains so bad that I was tossing and turning, not sleeping, and miserable. This morning the idea of straining and lifting at work made me really nervous so I went to the Instacare in Saratoga Springs, only to be told by the doctor that this was something that needed to be treated in the emergency room. Great. What have I done to myself and my sweet pea?? :(
We go to the American Fork Hospital where my sweet husband is anxiously waiting to go in with me. I had a horrible IV put in that hurt so bad and I couldn't move my whole arm.. :( A really nice lady came in with a wheelchair and wheeled me down to radiology to get an ultrasound to make sure the baby was alive and growing properly. I never thought seeing a black blob with a lighter blob inside that blob would be so exciting! My heart started beating faster! But of course my bladder wasn't full enough to see what they needed to see so I had to go the lovely vaginal route.. Yeah that was so awkward and cold and gooey and gross. But it was amazing how much clearer the picture was!
Then there it was.. the flicker of a baby heartbeat! A mini strobe light in the midst of the blobs! Who knew something so small and faint could make everyone in the room cry! It was the most beautiful moment thus far in my pregnancy! I found out I am 6 weeks and 1 day along, a week less than I thought. Not that I really care that I have one more week of pregnancy, its been wonderful so far!
So I was walking on air just long enough to have someone rain on my parade. All of a sudden the nice lady doing my ultrasound had a very worried face as she looked at the gray radar thingy, somehow seeing something wrong with it. Right about now I wish I knew what the heck she was looking at. She calls in the Radiologist and asks him a bunch of questions with big words that I've never heard before in my life. After they seemed to agree on something I kindly asked them to explain what was going on. This is what I understood..
My egg/yoke sack has been planted way too far to the left of my uterus. On top of that my endometrium, which is what you shed when you have your period but don't when you're pregnant, is heart shaped instead of triangle shaped which means there are two peaks, like a heart obviously. That pushes the egg to either one side or the other I guess. If the baby stays too far to the left and is too deep into the endometrium wall, it won't grow to term and will have to be surgically removed. There are things called "tubal pregnancies" where the egg is planted in your fallopian tubes and it has to be surgically removed. Its not in the tubes but it COULD be implanted into the uterus wall. BUT, if it shifts and starts growing in the middle, where it should be, than there's nothing to worry about and the baby will grow healthy and I won't have a complicated pregnancy. So the idea is to have an OB-GYN take another ultrasound in about a week and see if the baby's moved or not. Yay for the waiting game..

1 comment:

  1. O honey, I'm so sorry. Just remember to trust in the Lord, and everything will be ok :) You are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete