3.18.2011

Happiness is homemade :]

I am so proud of myself!
I made a really yummy dinner that I didn't steal the recipe from my mom! Woo!
I'm calling them...
Alecia's [AWESOME] Enchiladas <3
I guess I'm not that awesome since I forgot to take pictures! Gah!
Oh well here is the recipe for you cooker mamas out there!
Ingredients:
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat, cut into chunks
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1/4 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
1 tablespoon butter (you can add more to taste)
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
1 (1.25 ounce) package mild taco seasoning mix
1 bunch green onions, chopped
Hint: If you want to know how to chop fresh green onions look here. Don't feel silly, I wouldn't put this link on here if I didn't have to google it myself :]
1 cup water
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
(If you don't have garlic or onion powder, garlic or onion salt still works great! That's what I had to do!)
5 (12 inch) flour tortillas (burrito size)
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided in half
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives
Directions:
1. Place the chicken in a large pot and add enough water to cover the chicken. (Hint: this isn't where the 1 cup of water goes.) Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken pieces aren't pink, about 5-10 minutes.
2. Shred chicken by placing two forks back to back and pulling meat apart. (Hint: The fork trick didn't work too great for me. If you have tongs and a fork, it seems to work better. ALSO, if chicken isn't finely shredded, it still works.) Cover pot with chicken and set aside, off of heat.
3. Combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and chili powder in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
4. Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. (I like my onions really soft so I leave it for an extra minute or two.)
5. Strain the water from the chicken. Add the shredded chicken, chopped green chilies, taco seasoning, half the bunch of green onion, and 1 cup of water. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the lime juice, onion powder, and garlic powder. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stir 1 cup of the soup mixture into the skillet with the chicken mixture. Spread the remaining soup mixture on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
7. Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the chicken filling before folding the tortillas, reserving half of the shredded cheese for topping the enchiladas.
(Hint: I used way more then the suggested cheese and it was divine.)
Fold tortillas over the filling and place seam-side down in the prepared pan.
8. Pour enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas. Cover with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle the remaining chopped green onions (optional: I didn't), and the sliced olives on top of the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven until filling is heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 25 minutes.


So I know that wasn't really that simple but it is sooooo worth it. This is Mike's new favorite  meal I've ever made for him. Pretty sweet if you ask me. :]
Some side notes on this recipe:
-If you want more spice, you can buy medium or hot taco seasoning instead of mild.
-You can also add more chili powder to crank up the heat. 
-If you don't like green onions, I think it would taste fine without them because of the yellow onions that are already in there. I've never made it without so I don't know for sure, but hey if you don't want green onions, let me know how it goes!
-Instead of dealing with shredding the chicken (the most time-consuming part), you could cube the raw chicken in smaller pieces and just use them as small chunks.
I hope that makes this recipe easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment